Established in 1827, the University of Toronto is the best university in Canada and is also considered one of the world's leading universities across all major international ranking indicators.
Toronto attracts a substantial number of international students, who comprise more than 25% of its student population, attracted to its legacy of innovation and academic excellence. One main reason is Toronto's stable of master's courses. The university offers more than 200 graduate courses in disciplines ranging from architecture and engineering to medicine and arts and sciences; from the multitude of program offerings, the Master of Science (MS or MSc) courses at the University of Toronto are among the strong points that aspiring students prefer to take up while pursuing their higher education.
Learn more about leading MS degrees at the University of Toronto below. If you would like to begin your study in Canada application or have any further questions answered, book a free consultation with SI-Canada today.
Popular MS Courses at the University of Toronto
1. Master of Science in Computer Science
One of the most sought-after MS programs at the University of Toronto, this course provides advanced knowledge and the latest skills in computer science. The course is known for preparing students for careers in technology, software development, data science, and many more areas. Students get access to pioneering research resources, which help them delve deeper into areas like artificial intelligence and machine learning, shaping their expertise for real-world applications.
- Course: MS Computer Science
- International fees: $52,160
2. Master of Science in Nutritional Sciences
The MSc in Nutritional Sciences is a specialized program that focuses on the science of nutrition while exploring the intricate relationship between food, health, and well-being. Students learn about dietary interventions, nutritional epidemiology, and the latest nutrition research, preparing them for public health, clinical practice, or academic roles. The program aims to develop a student's ability to conceptualize research problems in the area of human nutrition.
- Course: MSc Nutritional Science
- International fees: $74,998
3. Master of Science in Biochemistry
This graduate program in biochemistry enables students to dive deeper into the molecular processes of life, uncovering the intricacies of biological molecules and their functions. Graduates studying this course are well-prepared for research, biotechnology, or healthcare careers, contributing to medical treatments and biological sciences advancements.
- Course: MSc Biochemistry
- International fees: $45,586
4. MSc in Pharmaceutical Sciences
The MSc in Pharmaceutical Sciences program at the University of Toronto offers various collaborative specializations. The course equips students with the knowledge and relevant skills required for roles in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries. Students become drug development, regulatory affairs, and pharmaceutical research experts through in-depth studies and research.
- Course: MSc in Pharmaceutical Sciences
- International fees: $66,061
5. Master of Science in Physics
The Department of Physics offers this master's degree, which enables students to learn the fundamental laws governing the physical universe. Students get to explore various topics, from quantum mechanics to astrophysics, preparing for careers in research, academia, or roles in industries such as aerospace and technology. As the department carries out original research in theoretical and experimental physics, students get the chance to be at the forefront of groundbreaking research.
- Course: MSc in Physics
- International fees: $45,586
6. Master of Science in Mathematics
The MSc in Mathematics program offers students an advanced understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications. As the Department of Mathematics offers opportunities for research during this course, students can take it forward in either pure mathematics or applied mathematics. Graduates of this course are generally well-prepared for careers in academia, finance, data analysis, and various fields where mathematical expertise is crucial.
- Course: MSc in Mathematics
- International fees: $60,729
7. Master of Science in Physiology
The MSc in Physiology degree gives students in-depth knowledge of the human body's functions and mechanisms. Students are given advanced training in the subject, emphasizing conducting research under the expert faculty's guidance. Graduates can take up careers in healthcare, medical research, and clinical practice after gaining in-depth knowledge of physiology and practising scientific skills.
- Course: MSc in Physiology
- International fees: $42,619
8. Master of Science in Earth Sciences
The Department of Earth Sciences at the university offers graduate programs in the subject in the form of a Master of Science, Master of Applied Science, and PhD. The Master of Science in Earth Sciences focuses on studying the Earth, covering geology, environmental science, and geological processes. Students become equipped to address critical environmental challenges and can work in natural resource industries or even engage in research and environmental conservation.
- Course: MSc in Earth Sciences
- International fees: $31,659
9. MSc in Applied Computing in Data Science
This specialized interdisciplinary program combines computing and data science to produce the next generation of innovators who are adept at managing and analyzing data. Students can take up concentrations in computer science, artificial intelligence, applied mathematics, and quantum computing to explore the latest in the field. The teaching is done through the latest technologies, and students also get the chance to go through an applied research internship at a partner company of the university.
- Course: MSc in Applied Computing
- International fees: $44,619
10. Master of Science in Sustainability Management
Sustainability management courses are the need of the hour at the global level, as these equip students with the right knowledge and skills to address environmental challenges and create sustainable solutions. The Master of Science in Sustainability Management can be considered one of the most unique courses at U of T, as it allows students to build a strong foundation in the subject while providing the chance to specialize in a science or management concentration. Graduates can pursue careers in sustainability consulting, corporate social responsibility, and environmental policy and management.
- Course: MSc in Sustainability Management
- International fees: $38,687
Students pursuing MS courses in Canada need a relevant bachelor's degree from a recognized institution, demonstrating a strong academic background. Most universities and programs may specify minimum GPA requirements, with the benchmark often varying between 2.5 and 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Apart from the academic qualification, international students must also provide proof of English proficiency through standardized tests, with score requirements varying by institution.
Some programs may also consider the GRE scores of students as part of the admission process. Students must also furnish a statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, and a resume as part of the application. These are the general eligibility requirements, but institutions may also have specific requirements, which you must check on the university's official website.
As noted above, each course is different, but international students can generally expect to pay CAD 31,659 to CAD 52,000 annually for their postgraduate course. Students should also budget for living expenses, which can vary significantly depending on factors such as the specific location, lifestyle, and housing choices. The living costs for international students in Toronto are around CAD 15,000-30,000 yearly.
Canada offers multiple scholarships and financial aid options for international students for all courses. When students pursue MS courses, they must research each scholarship's eligibility criteria, application deadlines, and award amounts to be sure. You can look for the following scholarships that can be availed to study master of science courses in Canada:
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships: These prestigious scholarships are available to international students pursuing doctoral degrees in various fields, including master's students in some cases. Vanier Scholars receive significant financial support to cover their studies and living expenses.
- Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program: This scholarship program is administered by the government and is offered to students from Commonwealth countries for postgraduate studies in Canada, including master's programs.
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships: While primarily for postdoctoral research, this program also supports students pursuing master's degrees in health research. It provides substantial financial support.
- Canadian Government Scholarships: Through its various departments and agencies, the Canadian government offers a range of scholarships to international students. Programs like the Canada-CARICOM Leadership Scholarships, Canada-ASEAN Scholarships, and Educational Exchanges for Development generally support students from specific regions.
- Provincial scholarships: Many Canadian provinces offer scholarships to international students. For example, the Ontario Trillium Scholarship (OTS) and the Quebec Merit Scholarship for Foreign Students financially support students pursuing graduate studies.
- University-specific scholarships: Canadian universities, including the University of Toronto, offer many scholarships to international students, which can be based on a student's academic merit, research potential of the subject matter, and other criteria. These can include entrance scholarships, departmental awards, and graduate assistantships.
- Institutional Scholarships: Many institutions in Canada have their own scholarship programs specifically for international students. For instance, the University of British Columbia, McGill University, and the University of Waterloo offer various scholarships.
- Privately Funded Scholarships: Various foundations and organizations in Canada, such as the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation and the Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE), offer scholarships to international students pursuing graduate studies in Canada.
Study at Toronto University
Contact SI-Canada today if you want to study an MS program at the University of Toronto.