The University of British Columbia (UBC) is one of the best universities in Canada and consistently ranks among the top 20 public universities in the world. Since its inception in 1915, UBC has been embracing innovation and transforming ideas into action for the people that join the educational institution with great curiosity, drive and a vision to reshape the world.
Students admitted to UBC get a modern learning experience that challenges and motivates them to transform their initiatives into innovations. They get the opportunity to learn from award-winning faculty members, pursue their unique passions and contribute to projects having global significance. The University of British Columbia acceptance rate is currently just over 50%.
If you wish to study at UBC, book a free consultation to talk to our experts and learn more about the application process to study in Canada.
Five Reasons to Study at University of British Columbia
1. Interdisciplinary and innovative courses
The University of British Columbia offers various undergraduate and graduate programs across various disciplines. The main areas of study at UBC include:
- Arts in fields such as English, history, philosophy, theatre, and visual arts.
- Science in fields such as biology, chemistry, computer science, earth and ocean sciences, physics, and mathematics.
- Social Sciences in fields such as economics, sociology, political science, psychology, and anthropology.
- Business in fields such as accounting, finance, marketing, and management through its Sauder School of Business.
- Education in fields such as teaching, counselling, and educational leadership through its Faculty of Education.
- Medicine in fields such as medicine, nursing, and pharmaceutical sciences through its Faculty of Medicine.
- Law in fields such as law through its Peter A. Allard School of Law.
- Engineering in fields such as chemical, civil, electrical, and mechanical engineering.
- Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Planning in fields such as architecture, landscape architecture and urban planning.
2. Rankings and awards
The University of British Columbia is consistently ranked among the top universities in Canada and the world. According to the 2023 QS World University Rankings, UBC is ranked in the world's top 50 and 2nd in Canada, whilst in the 2023 Times Higher Education World University Rankings, British Columbia is ranked in the top 40.
Additionally, UBC is consistently ranked highly in various subject-specific rankings, such as the 2022 QS World University Rankings by Subject, which ranked UBC in the top 50 in the world in subjects such as geography, forestry, and education.
The University of British Columbia has also won many awards and accolades for its academic excellence, research, and commitment to sustainability, including being named:
- One of the most international universities in the world by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings
- The best university in Canada and 20th in the world for medicine by the QS World University Rankings by Subject
- One of the top 50 greenest universities in the world by the UI GreenMetric World University Rankings
3. Co-operative education
For students who can get the relevant co-op study work permits, UBC offers some of the best co-operative education programs that a post-secondary educational institution can give its students in British Columbia. UBC connects more than 4,000 students each year with top local and international organisations, giving them valuable work experience.
4. Sports, health and well-being
The University of British Columbia has something available for every level of athlete and even a student who has not been much active. From joining the elite Varsity golfers to being beginning yogis to taking up alpine skiing or synchronised swimming, students have various sports and recreational activities to choose from.
When one is able to take up sports along with studies, whether to win international championships or just to refresh their mind, overall well-being and health improve. UBC has won 122 national championships to date, and the way students are encouraged to be active, it can definitely stay on top in the university sporting arena.
5. Study abroad options
The Go Global programs at UBC are a great way for students to go beyond their comfort zone and choose study abroad options. They get the chance to immerse themselves in new cultures and perspectives. After taking this option of studying in foreign lands, students can also become Go Global Ambassadors on the Okanagan and Vancouver campuses to share their knowledge and experiences with other UBC students.
Study at UBC
Do you find the environment at UBC interesting to pursue your higher education? Arrange for a free consultation with our study in Canada experts to learn more about the ways in which you can study at the University of British Columbia.