Canada has some of the best economics universities in the world, providing quality education to students through multiple programs with internationally recognized curricula and ready access to cutting-edge knowledge.
Almost 20 Canadian universities are ranked among the top 500 for Economics and Econometrics in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022. With the attractive proposition of post-study work permits and co-op programs allowing students to earn while studying, more international students than ever are studying economics in Canada.
Top Five Economics Courses in Canada
1. University of Toronto
The University of Toronto is a top-ranked university in Canada, and the economic degrees at Toronto are considered the best in the country. Through the Faculty of Arts and Science, Toronto offers around eight programs in the subject at various levels.
The University has three primary campuses, and the degree courses in Economics are available for students through the specialized faculties. But, majorly, the subject is covered in the social sciences, which helps students explore the issues involving an inter-relationship between individuals, society and the environment at large.
- Course: Honours Bachelor of Arts in Economics
- International fees: $60,510 per year
- Entry requirements: Completion of High School Course in English with a mid to high 80s range of scoring along with proof of English language proficiency.
2. University of British Columbia
The University of British Columbia education is designed to help students gain a much deeper understanding of the economy while examining the social, cultural and ethical dimensions of economic decision-making. The study includes courses such as Economics of Renewable Resources and Introduction to Game Theory and Applications.
UBC is the university that attracts the highest percentage of international students among the top-ranking universities in Canada, offering numerous degree programs in Economics courses at undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
- Course: Honours Bachelor of Arts in Economics
- International fees: $42,802 per year
- Entry requirements: All students must demonstrate English proficiency before admission. Graduation at a senior secondary school from a university-preparatory program with subjects of Language Arts, Mathematics and Computation, Social Studies and Visual and Performing Arts preferred over others.
3. McGill University
The Department of Economics at McGill University teaches students about the issues central to society's well-being. Taught by scholars of international reputation, the university has minor, major and honours programs at the undergraduate level, apart from the M.A. and PhD programs at the graduate level.
With ten different programs in the subject at all levels, the Department of Economics ensures that the students get the best education. Students can take a non-mathematical approach with the Majors concentration programs and a more mathematical approach with the Honours programs.
- Course: B.A. in Economics
- International fees: $34,638 per year (subject to change in consecutive years)
- Entry requirements: Graduating senior secondary schooling with 75%-85% in the subjects required apart from the proof of English language proficiency.
4. Western University
The Department of Economics at Western University educates students in international trade, tax policy, unemployment and determining wages and incomes. The university offers Economics courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Economics is majorly taught as a social science devoted to studying scarcity and how governments, organizations and individuals make economic decisions. The education at Western University takes care of the conventional topics and research on the new areas of concern to the Economists of today.
- Course: M.A. in Economics
- International fees: $21,463.56
- Entry requirements: All applicants must possess an Honours B.A. or an international equivalent from an accredited university apart from the proof of English language proficiency.
5. Université de Montréal
One of the most renowned French-language universities of the world, Université de Montréal offers numerous Economics courses at undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels through the Faculty of Arts and Science. The Department of Economics also offers cross-disciplinary programs in Economics with Political Science and Mathematics separately. Students who take specialized courses are taught to be capable of analyzing economic realities and applying their knowledge in response to the situation's needs.
With around nine different programs at all levels, the university is among the best in the world, providing Economics degrees in the French language. But, knowledge of the English language is also needed to be admitted to the University.
- Course: Master of Science in Economics
- International fees: $25,567
- Entry requirements: All applicants must fold an Honours B.Sc (Economics) or a Bachelor's degree with a minor or major in Economics to apply to the program. They should also demonstrate good knowledge of French and English languages.