The standardized English language proficiency test accepted worldwide is the International English Language Testing System, commonly known as IELTS. It is recognized worldwide by universities and immigration departments of countries with English as their official language, including Canada. However, did you know that many Canadian universities and colleges do not require a student score to gain entry?
Learn more about studying in Canada without an IELTS score below. If you want to begin your study in Canada application, contact SI-Canada today for a free consultation.
Getting into Canadian Universities Without IELTS
Even though IELTS is highly accepted in Canadian education institutions, there are exceptions. But before we delve into the details to find out how you can study in Canada without IELTS, we must also understand the need for an alternative if this exam is among the most accepted. Students often cannot face the difficulty levels of the tests and get discouraged for further trials. The high cost of the IELTS exam is also one of the reasons why students wish to find an alternative to IELTS to study in Canada.
If you, too, have been wondering if you can get into Canadian universities and colleges without IELTS, then it is possible, as many institutions offer alternatives to the IELTS for international students.
Alternatives to IELTS
Canada has many universities and colleges that enable students to study in English programs by offering them alternatives to showcase their proficiency or giving students a chance to learn the language before starting their course.
Many institutions readily accept other English language proficiency exams, like TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and (PTE) Pearson Test of English Academic. Some universities may even waive the English language proficiency requirement if the applicant has completed at least four years of education in an English-medium school before applying for the program in Canada. If a student hails from an English-speaking country, they can be considered to study in Canada without IELTS.
When a student doesn't have the option to use other alternatives, such as proof of English language learning before the start of the program or other factors discussed above, they can take up English proficiency tests other than IELTS. Some of the major English language proficiency tests that Canadian universities accept are:
- TOEFL: The Test of English as a Foreign Language is one of the best alternative tests for international students to prove English proficiency. This test also assessed students' language proficiency through reading, speaking, listening, and writing sections. Over 11,000 universities across 190 countries accept TOEFL, and many in Canada.
- PTE Academic: This computer-based test assesses students through all four modules, such as in IELTS or TOEFL, and is accepted by many universities worldwide.
- Duolingo English Test: This online test became popular during the pandemic, and since then, more than 4000 universities have accepted the proficiency test scores of students who take this exam.
- Canadian Academic English Language Test: This proficiency test is designed to assess students who want to study in post-secondary institutions in Canada and is considered a great alternative to IELTS.
Best Canadian Universities and Colleges with no IELTS Requirement
Many Canadian universities and colleges accept students who have not taken the IELTS exam to prove their English proficiency, including:
- McGill University
- University of Saskatchewan
- University of Winnipeg
- Brock University
- University of Regina
Gaining a Canadian Study Permit Without IELTS
After getting the acceptance letter from your university, you will also need to apply for a study permit to pursue your education in Canada. The English language proficiency test scores report is an important document required at this step. But if you have not taken IELTS, you can provide the test scores from other alternatives discussed above, such as TOEFL, PTE Academic, DET, and others. Apart from this document, you will also need to submit other crucial documents, which are:
- A valid passport
- Letter of acceptance from the university
- Proof of financial support
- Proof of payment for tuition fees and accommodation costs
- Letter of acknowledgement from the scholarship organization if you have received one
- A medical certificate along with a police verification certificate based in your home country
Study in Canada
If you want to study in Canada and need expert guidance to reach your dream institution, you can book a free consultation with SI-Canada today to find the best study programs and start your application.